Sunday, April 5, 2009

Confession # 9: I Like Apples AND Oranges


Someone posted a rant against Universal Studios in one of the on-line Disney newsgroups I read.
Was there last week....What a rip off ... Disney World was much better, it did have a lot more class...

It's a bit like comparing apples and oranges.

Disney World and Universal Studios ARE different.

Disney World's operating theme is "The Happiest Place on Earth".

Universal Studios' operating theme is "We are not Disney".
Okay, okay, it's really "Where Blockbusters Come to Life".

Universal is not shy about making fun of themselves and the place down the road.

Disney pretty much ignores the place up the road.


Disney is more kid-oriented, but Universal does have lots of kid-stuff too.
In fact, over in IOA there is one ride that you HAVE to be with a kid to ride!

And when 'The Wizarding World of Harry Potter' opens next year, well, that will blur the line even more.

I have to confess that there are shows, rides, characters, etc that I really prefer about one place or the other.

For example: I'll ride Expedition Everest (WDW) but not The Hulk (US-IOA);

I much prefer Jurassic Park River Adventure (US-IOA) to Splash Mountain (WDW);

I'll stand in line to see "It's Tough to Be a Bug" (WDW) but not "Shrek 4-D (US);

The Tower of Terror (WDW) has it all over Dr Doom's Fearfall (US-IOA).

I like Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin (WDW), but Men in Black (US) is better, and Toy Story Mania (WDW) is even better yet!

I have to admit that (most) Disney Cast Members are much more personable than (most) Universal employees.

Not counting Beetlejuice (US), who is in a class all his own.

And I'll take Pluto (WDW) over Scooby Doo (US) any day.

But overall ... Viva la Difference!

No comments: